Arjan Breukhoven, organist from The Netherlands, will perform several concerts and conduct workshops in Orange City, Sioux Center, Cherokee, Sioux City and Sioux Falls September 10-18.
The residency of Breukhoven is a collaboration between several churches, plus Orange City and Sioux Center Arts and Northwestern and Dordt Colleges. His tour includes performances at Northwestern College Chapel in Orange City, B.J. Haan Auditorium in Sioux Center, Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls, Cathedral of the Epiphany in Sioux City, and Immaculate Conception Church in Cherokee.
The Van Marel family of northwest Iowa discovered Breukhoven when visiting the Netherlands in June, 2015.
“A highlight of our two-week tour,” said Carl Van Marel, “was attending the worship service at the last church where our van der Marel ancestors worshipped before emigrating. Arjan Breukhoven was the organist at this 280-year-old church in Berkel en Rodenrijs.”
The family, duly impressed with Breukhoven, returned to the States and made work of bringing him here.
Breukhoven and his wife Annelies will be in Iowa and South Dakota September 10 through 18.
Born in Rotterdam, Breukhoven studied organ and church music, plus piano, vocal, improvisation and choir direction, at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague. Since then, he has developed his own wide-ranging style of improvisation.
Today, Breukhoven gives 450 concerts and church services annually, performing both at home and throughout Europe, Russia and Australia. He has recorded numerous CDs and DVDs, directs three Dutch male choirs and is known for his compositions for choir, organ and other instruments.
Breukhoven has played the organ of the St. Patrick’s Basilica of Fremantle in Western Australia and on the organ of the St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican.
In 2014, Breukhoven was awarded the ‘Médaille d’Argent’ (silver medal) by the ‘Société Académic d’ encouragement et d’ éducation Arts, Sciences et Lettres’ in Paris, because of his expertise in performing French organ music.
At several of Breukhoven’s performances here, he will be joined by local musicians, Pam De Haan, saxophone, and Titus Landegent, percussion.
Breukhoven’s tour schedule, below.
Breukhoven’s tour schedule:
- Sunday, Sept 11, 9:30am: organist, First Christian Reformed Church, Sioux Center, IA.
- Sunday, Sept 11, 6:30pm: worship service, B.J. Haan Auditorium, Dordt College, Sioux Center, IA. A service of music hosted by First Reformed Church, featuring hymn improvisations and community singing.
- Tuesday, Sept. 13, 11:05am: organist, Northwestern College Chapel service, Orange City, IA.
- Tuesday, Sept 13, 7:30pm: concert, Cathedral of the Epiphany, 1000 Douglas Street, Sioux City, IA.
- Thursday, Sept 15, 7:30pm: concert, Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 709 West Cedar, Cherokee, IA.
- Friday, Sept 16, 7:30pm: concert, Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 909 West 33rd Street, Sioux Falls, SD.
- Saturday, Sept 17, 10:00am: organ improvisation workshop, B.J. Haan Auditorium, Dordt College, Sioux Center, IA.
- Saturday, Sept 17, 7:30pm: concert, Christ Chapel, Northwestern College, Orange City, IA.
- Sunday, Sept 18, 9:30am: organist, American Reformed Church, Orange City, IA.
The performances are free and open to the public. Freewill offerings will be received.
Sponsors of the Breukhoven residency are The Dutch Heritage Boosters of Orange City, Orange City Arts, Sioux Center Arts, Northwestern College, Dordt College, ATLAS, Darrow Pipe Organ, area churches and the Van Marel family.
More information: www.arjanbreukhoven.nl or contact ocArts@orangecityiowa.com or 712.707.4885.